Originally opened in 1904 as a vaudeville theatre known as the Avenue Theatre and this continued until 1906. From 1908 it was converted into a movie theatre and was re-named National Theatre. It was located in the Englewood neighborhood, on Halsted between West 63rd Street and Peoria Drive. When it first opened, it seated over 1,100 (later reduced). It closed around the early 1930s.
In 1935, it reopened after a Streamline Moderne remodel, as the Ace Theatre. In 1950 the theatre underwent another name change, as the Kim Theatre. The Kim remained in operation until 1966. When it closed, it was called the Kim Art. The theater has since been demolished.