“Opened in 1919 for the Schoenstadt chain, this nearly 2400-seat theater was originally designed by the firm of Rapp & Rapp.
In its first decades, the Peoples not only screened films, but hosted vaudeville and musical acts on its stage. It also contained a 2/6 Wurlitzer organ, which was installed in 1923.
In the late 30s, the Peoples received an Art Moderne remodeling.
After an 80-year life, the Peoples was closed in 1989. It was razed in 2001, though pieces of its magnificent terra-cotta facade were salvaged prior to demolition. A Walgreens was later constructed on the site of the theater.”